Friday, May 22, 2009

Interview with Simon Jones - Illustrator of the dark and wonderful



Simon Jones is a freelance Illustrator based in London. I came across his work on Epilogue website (fantasy and sci-fi art website), where I somehow landed on Simon's "The Video Word made Flesh" digital work. I was gob smacked to say the least. Did I hear you say dark and weird? I hope you meant that in the best possible way.


Here is the interview with him I obtained after a few exchanges of emails.


Tell us about how you became to be interested in digital media?

I first became drawn to digital media probably in the early 90s, I wasn't really happy with the results I was getting from traditional media, I felt that my work was becoming limited by the techniques I was using and I wasn't feeling inspired at all. I then came across some of Dave McKean's cover's for the Sandman comics and as a direct result of these got myself a copy of Photoshop. From there on out, I was hooked. Digital media brought back the thrill of being surprised by my own work, something as simple as the overlaying of a texture in Photoshop opened up endless possibilities and got me excited about work again.


What software do you use to make you images?

I used to work predominantly in Photoshop, using a combination of my on personal photos, as well as stock images, to create my artwork, but I began to feel the process of taking(photographs), or scouring the internet, for the right photo was becoming a bit tedious. Also I began to feel a little insecure about my work by just relying on photos. I then began to using 3D elements and used Cinema 4D for a long while, before I came across Zbrush. Since then, I haven't looked back. So now it's a combination of Zbrush and Photoshop, although I do use Painter also now and again.




How has the global economic crisis affected you and others around you?

Well, there's certainly been less commissions than in previous years, also I feel clients are being a little bit safe in their briefs, no-one's looking to take any risks at the moment.


Is H R Giger one of your influences? Your work does have characteristic similar to Giger's work. Who else is your influence?

Giger was a huge influence on me growing up, I studied his work endlessly, at the time there was no-one else doing anything like he did, he is a true visionary. Other than that, I'm mostly influenced by films such as David Cronenberg's "Videodrome" and Shinya Tsukamoto's "Tetsuo" films. Anything to with the transformation of the human body, or the fusion of man and machine. I'm also a great admirer of Kent Williams.




If macs were to cease to exist tomorrow, would you continue to work, or for that matter live?

As much as I love my Mac and couldn't live with out it, I have considered going over to the dark side and getting a PC, just for 3D work, but so far I've resisted the temptation.


What can we expect from the world of Simon Jones in the next year/month/week?

At the moment I've just finished writing some comics for the Koniotou brothers, I'm sure some of your blog readers will be familiar with their work, they've done a lot for stuff for the Games Workshop etc. I'm also working on a series of pictures in the vein of what I did with "The New Flesh". So exciting times.






Is there anything else you wanted to add?

I'd just like to thank you for taking the time for this interview and showing an interest in my work, it means a lot.



So there you have it folks. Who says dark and weird is a bad thing. Being bad is so good. You can follow Simon Jones's latest posting and deviations on DeviantArt and check out his website too.

DevianArt: the-scarlet-gospels.deviantart.com
Website: www.simonlewisjones.co.uk
Epilogue gallery: www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=21879



blog comments powered by Disqus